Saturday, August 15, 2009

Little Mama

One of the first questions people ask me about the baby isn't about the baby at all. It's about Gabriella and how she likes her little brother. Well, let me tell you. She absolutely adores him. He absolutely adores her. Big love affair going on between the two of them. Big.

Gabriella acts as if she is Dominic's real mom. She can barely buckle herself into a highchair, but she tries to buckle Dominic into his carseat.

Gabriella coyly runs away when it's time for her diaper change, but she's a captive audience for Dominic's diaper changes. In fact, I've caught her practicing how to change a diaper herself.

When I was pregnant with Dominic, I was afraid I'd never love another baby like I love Gabriella. I cried when my water broke because I felt as if she and I had lost our time together as mother and only child.

Now, four and a half months later, I know that, yes, you can fall head over heels in love with your second child; and, no, you are not taking anything away from your first child. You are giving her (and yourself) the most amazing gift.

No comments: